Wednesday, November 6, 2013

This week's job and surprise

Our goal is to make a workable game of tetris
Our team leader gave me the job as follows.

API: 
// called when perfect line(s) are formed 
// param: 
// clearedLines : number of lines cleared 
clearLinesEvent(int clearedLines) 

// called when a tetromino piece has complete its drop 
// param: 
// endYPos : the Y coordinate of the piece location 
dropCompleteEvent(int endYPos)


Just before I try to get it done, another team member said he already done almost all the functions we need.
So I do not have to do anything this week.
I'm kind of person that don't like behind our team, so I took the effort to make some graphics.
See!Cool?  Almost all textures we need is here. We can build a really nice game!


I post it to the Piazza, but what surprise me is, some of the student believe this is out of scope, because Keenan didn't ask us to do much about the graphics, and they think this is not about the code things, and seems not willing to put it into the project.

But actually, put all of these texures into the game is not "not the code part" as they thought. Many code will be adjusted for drawing. Adjusting the positions and working on the button will cost time and effort. People may not willing to do that, because it gives no credit. So I'm pretty sure that these pictures will not be included finally, even I have done the half of the job for them.

This make me think about the team cooperation.
   First, for this Tetris assignment, I think I can do all the job myself in 3 weeks easily, with sound and graphic and even more. But when it turns to 15 people, the "speed" didn't improve at all, heavy communication cost make the progress even slower.
   Second, in the team cooperation, people actually think of themselves, its hard for a team members "like me" to push every one to do any extra job to make our product better. Only the Boss (like Keenan) could do that. Constructive idea did nothing in such cooperation pattern we use in the class.
   I think these two problem are hard to be solved easily, but a better cooperation pattern may decrease these effect. For example, let team A and team B compete each other, and the team makes the game better wins.
  Though I'm a little upset about my classmates' reaction, I still got some experience from this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment